Sunday, April 4, 2010

The Terrifying Beauty of the Cross

This is a post from my friend, Kelsea's blog. She is an amazing child of God that has been given the gift of writing. I found this post resembled my exact thoughts, feelings, and emotions today as I remember what my Father went through to save a sinner like myself.
There is so much beauty and grief stricken tears associated with that of the crucifixion. I do believe that the Easter season is quickly becoming my favorite time of year. I feel like my knowledge on the meaning of everything has expanded incredibly this year, and as a result, the impact emotionally has been great. I have felt myself purged of all strength, submitting to the power within the love of one so great, to die for someone so terrible as myself. As I observed the interpretation portrayed of the crucifixion in “The Passion,” I shuddered at every lash stricken upon his body, not because of the blood or because it looked painful, but because I imagined that every time He was struck, I was the one doing the lashing, every time I have blatantly or absentmindedly decided that my way of doing things, or the way I want my life to be is better than the beautiful plans He has for me. I also could not stop thinking, “why?” Why would anyone ever knowingly take on such torture. Not only was He physically beaten, bloodied, and bruised, but He was humiliated, mocked, spit on, and betrayed…..and He knew of this fate His entire life. The only explaination is a love I cannot comprehend, and a desire to be with me, that makes no sense at all.

I look at my life and see my downfalls and my shortcomings. I see my sin and my despair and I wonder, why would He die for this? and then I remember the joy, the hope, the peace, the LIFE that comes from knowing Him….and I think those gifts are the reason. He did not die only for my benefit, but because He desired to give, and to love, and to be with me….not because He needs me, but because I need him.

There is really no explanation that I can comprehend, but the explanation is not the point, the point- what really matters- is how I am going to live knowing that He sacrificed everything for me. This should not just be a realization that hits me once a year….but every single day. oh boy do I have a lot of growing to do.

“I breathe at the foot of Your cross, and I weep at the foot of Your cross, and I’ll bleed at the foot of Your Cross…till I believe, Jesus I’m Yours. I live only because Your alive. and I will love you, love through the pain, till only love remains. I’m Yours, oh Jesus I’m Yours.”
Hakuna Matata

No comments:

Post a Comment