Thursday, September 30, 2010

Spiders, Beetles, & Mice, Oh My!




When I arrived here in India I settled into a nice little room upstairs in the guest house.  I was told that bats have lived in that room before but it had been some time so I probably had nothing to worry about.  About a week later I started hearing my little "friend" speak to me at night.  I was not about to have the thing fly down and bite my face in the night so I took the kind offer of Christianna (one of the other volunteers here) and moved into her room downstairs.

Since I've been in my new room Christianna and I have encountered a nice big spider (who is now in Heaven), a wonderful beetle friend (we were kind enough to spare his life), and a mouse that I threw out of the house (but we're pretty sure he came back the very same night).  Wow, maybe the bat making noises upstairs wasn't something to move out about!  But nevertheless, it has been an adventure and I feel like I could now take on the world if ever need be.
 Our spider friend just moments before his death.

This my friend may seems like just an ordinary Cheeto bag, but I must tell you that it is much more!  We call this our "Indian mouse trap."  Clearly mice like all types of cheese because this is where the mouse in our room was camping out.  I kept hearing a crinkling noise as I tried to fall asleep a couple nights ago and finally I got up to check it out.  I figured out that it was the mouse in the Cheeto bag, in the trash can.  I debated for a little while weather I had the guts to grab the bag and throw it out or not and finally I manned up!  I may or may not have screamed during the process but the point here is that I took care of business.  As soon as I the bag hit the ground outside I saw the creature scurry away...only to come back and ruffle through another trash can later that night!  Oh India.

Here below is a clip Christianna and I took the night we took care of the spider...I had it all under control despite what it may seem in the video. =)







No comments:

Post a Comment