Monday, August 16, 2010

Here Am I

"Freedom abuse is our future,
Heads turn; tell me what is a caste?
Say to the girl, wishing for death,
'Slavery’s a thing of the past'. "

Let me break it down...

"Freedom abuse is our future."  This is saying how our generation uses "freedom" as an excuse to do things they want...to satisfy their desires or get away with certain things.  I know this is a free country and we can do the things we want, but it seems to me that this tends to be taken a little too far.

"Heads turn; tell me what is a caste?"  The caste system in India is where people are placed in different levels or categories and there is nothing they can do about it. There are different castes for religious leaders (or holy-men), kings or great landlords, merchants and so on. Then there are the Untouchables who are also known as "non-people." They tend to do the dirty work and live in certain places to keep away from higher castes (because it is the higher castes who want them far away). Some of the Indian law doesn't even protect the Untouchables. The "heads turn" part is meaning that most people don't really know about this, and if they do, they turn their heads away because they don't want to get involved.  They hear about this, say, "That is not right," and go on eating their dinner.
"Say to the girl, wishing for death, 'slavery's a thing of the past'."  This is talking about modern day slavery. Many people don't know but there are more slaves in the world today than were seized from Africa during 4 centuries of the Trans Atlantic Slave Trade. I have heard many stories about girls who are sex slaves and how they pray for death because in their eyes death would be better than going through what they do every single day. I've also heard stories of girls who would run out in the street trying to get hit by a vehicle with the hopes of dying.

All in all, I am saying we tend to not take freedom seriously or hold it for all it is worth, especially as some would do anything to have the freedom we do.  A lot of people are ignorant about what goes on in the world...or, if they do know, they mostly do nothing about it.
  I don't know what you think about this but to me it is just not right at all and I hope to be used to make a change.

"...Here am I.  Send me."  Isaiah 6:8

1 comment:

  1. Sarah! Great to hear that we share passions! I am so envious of you going to volunteer at Freedom Firm. That will be absolutely amazing! I am going to India in November for about two weeks, but unfortunately not with anything about human-trafficking. I am going with a group from my church to work at an orphanage. I would love to hear about how you got to volunteer for Freedom Firm! How crazy that you found my blog?! That is totally God. I love that. If you get a chance sometime please send me a message or post about how to get involved with Freedom Firm. I am only in high school, but my heart aches daily for the young girls in India and I need to get involved with helping stop this injustice as soon as possible.
    Blessings,
    Heather

    ReplyDelete