Friday, February 26, 2010

Unexplainable

I took this picture at one of the Maasi schools we visited. When we first arrived and started walking towards the students to say, "Hello," they all backed away when they thought we got to close. Some of them even screamed (a sort of giggling scream) and ran in the other direction or behind some of their classmates in order to get away from us. All we could do is walk cautiously and soft towards them, trying to let them know we just wanted to say hi. When I got semi close to a big group of boys I started introducing myself in Swahili. One of the older boys then told me, "They are afraid of you." "Why is that?" "Because you are white." (a little racist huh?) So I kept moving forward and stuck out my arm for them to see my whiteness. They started giggling and that's when I flipped my arm over for them to see the side that never meets the sun. Oh my they loved that! They all busted up laughing and came running towards me. They were petting and comparing our arms and just having so much fun with this foreigner. I loved it so much. It was like they now accepted me.
The first picture is us all comparing our arm colors. And the picture directly above is showing their acceptance of me =) I love and miss being in the middle of a crowd of Kenyans. It was such a joy that I can only describe as unexplainable.




Hakuna Matata

No comments:

Post a Comment